The crowning event of the year 1952, was the Consecration of the Corpus Christi Cathedral by Bishop Garriga. During the summer months, the interior of the Cathedral was redecorated under the direction of Bishop Garriga, in preparation for the Consecration, which was scheduled for the fall. Besides the paintings and the murals in the sanctuary; art glass windows replaced the plain glass.
The story of the Holy Eucharist, in figure and type, in promise and realization, and in the spiritual life of the Mystical Body of Christ, is briefly but beautifully told in the stained glass windows. Over the main altar is a figure of Christ the High Priest and King of Kings, surrounded by a select court of those prominent in His Eucharistic Life; His Mother; St Joseph, St John, the beloved disciple; St Peter, St Margaret Alacoque, St Thomas of Aquinis, St Pascal of Baylon, and the little martyr and saint of the Blessed Sacrament, St Tarcisus. The main arch separating the elaborate decorations of the sanctuary; brings out the sacramental system of the Church in the symbols that are artistically and proportionately spread over its surface. The utter simplicity of the decorative designs in the body of the Church and in the ceiling accentuate the beauty of the sanctuary and make the whole a most pleasing and satisfying interior; set off with the gorgeous coloring of the windows, it adds a most devotional atmosphere.
Services for the Consecration of the Corpus Christi Cathedral by Bishop Garriga, took place on September 19, 1952, commencing at 6:30 pm. Right Reverend Adolph Marx, Chancellor of the diocese was the celebrant of the Mass that followed the Consecration. On Thursday, September 25, His Excellency celebrated the first Pontifical Mass in his newly-consecrated Cathedral. He was assisted by Rt. Rev. Monsignor William H. Oberste, Arch-priest Rev. George Doyle, Deacon, and Rt. Rev. Victor Ralph, subdeacon, all of whom had been stationed, in the first years following ordination, at the Cathedral rectory. His Eminence, Francis Cardinal Stritch, Archbishop of Chicago, preached the sermon. Rt Rev. Msgr J. J. Lannon and Rt Rev Monsignor C. R. Mullen were Chaplains to His Eminence.
Bishop Garriga governed the Diocese of Corpus Christi until his death in 1965. While awaiting the decision of the Holy See regarding Bishop Garriga's successor, the Most Reverend Adolf Marx, who had been Bishop Garriga's auxiliary Bishop since 1956, administered the Diocese. The Most Reverend Thomas J. Drury was appointed the Fourth Bishop of Corpus Christi by His Holiness Pope Paul VI on July 19, 1965. He governed the Diocese worthily and well until his retirement in 1983. During his tenure as Bishop, he worked tirelessly for the expansion of diocesan services, and for the erection of parish facilities to accommodate the needs of the fast-growing Catholic population in our area.
His Holiness Pope John Paul II appointed Bishop Rene H. Gracida, formerly the Bishop of Pensacola-Tallahassee, in Florida, to be the Fifth Bishop of Corpus Christi. Bishop Gracida was installed in the Cathedral on July 11, 1983.