The National Council of Catholic Women acts through its membership to support, empower, and educate all Catholic women in Spirituality, leadership, and service. NCCW programs respond with Gospel values to the needs of the Church and society in the modern world.
The National Council of Catholic Women was formed in the year 1920 by the Bishops of the United States. The purpose was to affiliate the already existing church organizations and societies and form an umbrella group. The Diocese of Corpus Christi became involved with NCCW in the year 1941.
A meeting was called at the Corpus Christi Cathedral and over one hundred women and eighteen priests attended. At that time the Diocese of Corpus Christi had five deaneries including the Rio Grand Valley and Laredo. After meeting with each parish in the Diocese, an organizational meeting was called at the Cathedral in Corpus Christi on March 17, 1941. Over three hundred women attended representing each deanery. Each deanery elected their own slate of officers and all five deaneries elected the Diocesan Council of Catholic Women officers.
Seventy-one years later, this Diocesan council is still alive and their deaneries, known today as areas are still going strong. One of the Council’s main projects is the Annual Burse Club Drive. The proceeds from this project goes directly to the Bishop to be used for educating our seminarians and assisting with their needs.
The DCCW also gets involved with major concerns in our world such as “Respect Life”, “Human Dignity”, the homeless, domestic violence, human trafficking and other concerns of human life. Women who join NCCW can either become individual members or affiliate members of an existing organization.