Our Lady of the Rosary in Corpus Christi is seeking to fill a Parish Bookkeeper/Secretary position.
Bookkeeper Job Description & Responsibilities
Secretary Job Description & Responsibilities
- Efficiently reconciles and communicates all Parish (Our Lady of the Rosary/Mount Carmel/St. Vivian) financial reports, transactions and budget matters to the Pastor:
- Counts money, prepares bank deposits, records receipts and deposits on all income to appropriate accounts daily and as required. Prepares monthly financial statements and submits reports to Pastor by the 1st of each month.
- Provides information to payroll services for state and federal quarterly tax reports.
- Reconciles I.R.S. quarterly payroll tax reports for Parishes.
- Prepares contribution notices for parishioners for year-end tax purposes.
- Maintains all Parish accounts including finance ministries and Parish organizations.
- Ensures timeliness and accuracy of all accounts payable and receivable payments.
- Provides monthly financial data to the Pastor and Finance Council on construction and building projects.
- Ensures salary, benefits and personnel policies and procedures are communicated to employees.
- Accurately processes employee payroll and benefits. Provides timely information to payroll service for employee wages, assuring proper withholdings and deductions are made.
- Maintains, administers and controls petty cash, designated funds and all checking and savings accounts.
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned by Pastor.
Under the supervision of the Pastor, performs secretarial duties as assigned. Ensures Pastor is informed and consulted on all matters and operations of the Parish on a daily basis. In the absence of Pastor, consultation is obtained in advance from Dean of the Deanery for recommendation and approval on all Parish matters.
Bookkeeper/Secretary Skills and Qualities
- Applies appropriate etiquette when answering the telephone and greeting customers and employees ensuring a professional office environment and smooth flow of operations.
- Files all correspondence.
- Notifies Pastor of all sacramental requests.
- Records all sacraments and funerals as required by the church’s laws in appropriate Parish register books.
- Prepares all sacramental certificates and ensures documents are filed accordingly.
- Responsible for funeral mass arrangements and ensures applicable documents are completed by family.
- Maintains office calendar, arranges meetings and schedules appointments, conferences and travel for the Pastor.
- Prepares weekly bulletin, general intercessions and announcements in preparation for Mass and maintains Parish calendar.
- Schedules Mass intentions and maintain Mass record book.
- Prepare and send Parish mailings as needed and requested by Pastor.
- Maintains all Parish records by data entry and/or manual maintenance and filing of parishioner records.
- Uses email to retrieve and send communication as assigned by the Pastor.
- Maintains and edits Church website as requested by Pastor.
- Serves as Recording Secretary and takes minutes during Pastoral and Financial Council meetings.
- Coordinates and maintains office supplies to ensure appropriate access and availability for Pastor and employees.
- Assists Pastor with coordination of events and functions. Works on special projects as assigned by Pastor.
- Assist with Diocesan Appeal and fund raising activities.
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned by the Pastor.
- Proficiency in Quick Books preferred.
- Knowledge of federal payroll practices preferred.
- Knowledge of accounts receivable/payable practices preferred.
- Strong secretarial and computer skills.
- Excellent customer service, oral and communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Strong organization skills. Must be able to multi-task, prioritize and work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality with all parish communications and matters.
- Must be flexible and willing to assist as needed.
Applicant must meet diocesan requirements:
- Submit to an employment and criminal background and drug screening.
- Certified in Safe Environment training provided by the Office for Safe Environment and Child & Family Resources.
- Position requires adherence to diocesan policies and procedures.
High School Diploma or Equivalent.
All interested candidates may download an
employment application from the website or send a resume to: